Monday, June 19, 2023

 

Welcome to Pete’s Vintage Watch Blog, Where I will showcase my collection and discuss watches that are on my wish list and other vintage watch related topics

In this week’s post I want to talk about one of my favorite watches, a vintage Citizen
chronograph from the 1970’s. This particular watch is what is commonly referred to as a “franken watch” which is when a watch is pieced together from two or more different models; usually this is done out of necessity when parts are missing or broken, but can also be done if a certain aesthetic is desired, which is the case here.

This watch utilizes an automatic Citizen 8110 23J movement. This is a flyback chronograph which means the chronograph does not need to be stopped first before resetting.

I love the beautiful green dial with blue sub-dial markers on this watch. The dial and hands are from a Citizen Monaco watch and really catch the eye. The unusual stainless steel octagon case is from a 1975 Citizen 67-9151 and measures approximately 38mm across excluding the crown. I believe the bracelet is original to the 67-9151 case and has a large taper which I personally prefer.

I purchased the watch about a year and a half ago and it was advertised as recently serviced and so far it has had no issues.

Although franken watches typically are not as collectible as a one hundred percent original watch, I was just really drawn to the combination of dial and case and when collecting sometimes it’s best to ju
st buy what you like, as long you don’t over pay.

1 comment:

  1. Citizens are my favorite. That one sounds like its pretty unique. Definitely a good looking watch!

    ReplyDelete

  Welcome to Pete’s Vintage Watch Blog, Where I will showcase my collection and discuss watches that are on my wish list and other vintage w...